Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Snow day means (wool) wash day



This morning, I decided to use my snow day (at 15 degrees F. and blowing snow - no way was I going outside!) to check out the RDF (Really Dirty Fleece!) that I've been cleaning bit by bit.



I have six bags of cleaned and carded fleece. Each section is a different color.






Mostly gray - black, dark black/brown, dark gray, medium gray and light gray!
The last section of cleaned and carded wool is a nice colored gray but I don't think I'm going to be able to use it with the other colors. It is just the dirtiest section . . .


that what looks like heathered gray is really - VM. Vegetable matter. 


It got to the point today when I looked over what I was cleaning and I just bundled up that section and tossed it. The remaining sections -  dark brown, black and dark gray - were relatively clean so I washed them up and I'll get a final carding session in later this week. I don't really know what I'm going to get yarn-wise but I'm hoping to get something good enough for hats and mittens. 


One of my favorite links that I've gone to over and over this week is Spinning ForthRuth MacGregor's great links, videos and articles make me think this nasty old fleece might actually make some fun yarn!




No comments: