Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Are you blue?

Last week, I attended an indigo dyeing class at the Textile Center of Minnesota. I've dyed yarn with homegrown indigo before and it never really took. But this time, we experimented with pre-reduced Indigo Crystals that made a much deeper color.


The four small skeins in the back came out of a cold water dye and the darker, larger skein came out of a hot water dye vat. Both yarns are hand spun - I think it might be merino.


I also tried a little merino curls  - carding that up and then spinning it is next on the list! 

The class was full of amazing students - some dyeing fiber and hand spun yarn, some commercial yarns, some even dyeing linens and kimono fabric. 

I can't wait to try this on my own!


1 comment:

Cat Herself said...

I've not done any dying since doing TieDye with kids. Looks like fun!