Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Sometimes the worst photos tell the best stories


Who would ever have guessed that this little cutie . . .



would ever grow up to be such a reluctant sock model?



And one who wears such big socks already? Youngest Child is on his way to being renamed Biggest Feet! This was a carry along project this winter so it was only worked on here and there - hockey games, meetings, lunches, church services, etc. Thankfully, I finished them before his feet grew anymore! 
The yarn is some inexpensive Premier Yarns Serenity Sock Weight Solids that I picked up at a general craft store. It is not a bad sock yarn and very reasonably priced. It is a little thin for my taste - I like a more circular, rolled sock yarn. 
Now that's a phrase no non-knitter will understand! I mean a rounder yarn because it's usually a three ply sock yarn. This one is just very thin feeling - not soft or lofty at all. But, it seems very hard wearing so it's a good yarn for boys' socks.
Also, a little FYI for knitters: I've had these sock blockers for over five years and have used them about twice. Don't bother with them!

The worst photo this week is the traditional "hat in progress" photo. Too small to wear yet too big to put on the dog . . .



This is a quick Winter Wonderland Hat from Kristin Nicholas. It uses one strand of worsted weight yarn and two strands of sock yarn. A good way to use up extra sock yarn and it's a quick knit! This one is for a charitable event this weekend. The pattern wasn't in my library until recently but I really enjoy Kristin's work and I highly recommend her blog - very lovely photographs and boy, is it colorful! She has a new book out as well that I'm looking forward to reading - Crafting a Colorful Home.

Now, back to those mittens before Youngest Child's hands get any bigger . . .


















No comments: