Monday, December 30, 2013

Thinking ahead to 2014


         
 There is a great book out there called Howards End Is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home by Susan Hill. In this book, the author Susan Hill was looking for an wanted book in her library when she ran across many others on her own shelves  that she had never read, or forgotten she owned, or wanted to read for a second time. This inspired her to start a year of reading her books and not buying new books until she had read her own stash.

As a knitter, I know stash. I recently had to move my stash (not a complete airing but a shuffling around) in order to get into some filing cabinets in the same closet. After a good look around,  I realized, "I have a ton of projects ready to go!"

Yep. Yarn purchased, in project bags, patterns printed and even needles set aside. At least 14 undone projects. That's a lot of yarn.

So, I've been planning my 2014 as a stash down year just as Susan Hill read down her own "stash" of books. And, I'm also planning to read off my own shelves - real and on my kindle - to get some of my own book "stash" used up as well.


Susan described a book as one "which is left on a shelf for a decade is a dead thing, but it is also a chrysalis, packed with the potential to burst into new life." 

I am hoping my "14 projects in 2014 Stash and Project Busting" (14in14S&PB) will be as inspiring. Right now, I'm planning on attacking my current WIPs:

1.  Advent Scarf
2.  Sock Yarn Mittens
3.  Caherciveen for james
4.  miss winkle
5.  Lady Londonberrry
6.  Acer Love
7.  OwlMittens
8.   It calls, “Finish me, finish me!” (My Benedetta)

as well as from my queue which now reflects my "Bag of Bags" holding all my planned-but-not-yet-knitted projects. 


9.  The Socialite
10. Easy Folded Poncho
11. To infinity and Beyond Cowl
12.  Basic Ribbed Socks
13.  Felted Woolly Owl
14.  Pine Forest Baby Blanket

I'll work through my queue as well but not in any particular order. And, of course, I'll be popping some charitable projects such as mittens or bears or cowls into the mix as needed. 

 Same with my books. I've had some half-read books for almost a year and it's time to get them gone! Then, I'll work through any unread books on my shelves and then, from my library reading list. 

Of course, I'll slip a few new books in there as well because of my book group, etc. BUT not until something is finished first!


No comments: