Monday, December 29, 2008

Little to Big

After a peaceful Christmas holiday in Pennsylvania, I thought I should show some of my holiday/travel knitting. Although I got a few books for Christmas (and a WII Fit!), relaxation for me mostly meant knitting!

First off, I had a quick pair of Knucks to produce for Youngest Child when he vetoed the pair of mittens I'd started for him. I skipped the embroidery but I used a lovely bright shade of green yarn.

Originally, I'd picked up a great pattern for Felted Mittens by Nancy Lindberg over at Ingebretsens in Minneapolis but - once again - I'd mislaid the ball band so I wasn't entirely sure what yarn I had on hand. Could be wool, could be a blend. Since I wasn't going to waste time making and felting a swatch, I decided to make the knucks instead.



I think they make him feel like Ash from Pokemon! He wore them all the time in Pennsylvania - even on the coldest days. After that, I worked on a pair of moccasin slippers for him from Felted Knits. That was a fun pattern but I haven't photographed them yet. They are still a bit damp and need a little more shaping. I think I like them better than the ballet slippers from the same book. They just seem more tailored.



On the drive home today, I finally started on a pair of the Nancy Lindberg Felted Mittens. I don't have the full skeins of Brown Sheep Nature Spun as called for so these mittens will be a hodgepodge of colors. I do wish I'd brought a circular needle - I used every size 7 in my bag as well as a few size 8 dp needles to help hold on all the stitches.

I did have one knitting stop while on vacation - Wolf Creek Yarns in Grove City, Pa. I bought some needles and a gorgeous red skein of Cascade Yarns Eco Wool + yarn. It is shade 8450, a very rich red and 478 yards! This may be for my own felted mittens.

After these mittens, I have to start planning the New Year's knitting. Maybe a finish-a-thon of UFOs?

2 comments:

Guinifer said...

I love the color of the nucks. (I like Ash too!)

Lorraine said...

Finish-a-thon? What a great idea! I was looking for needles the other day and found a bunch of UFO's hanging around. Uggggh. Even if I finish things so I can take a needle inventory, it would be a good thing.

BTW, I do have a knitting machine. (snicker) It just isn't portable enough to take to hockey, dance, swimming . . .