Friday, February 09, 2007

If at first you don't succeed . . .




I decided to throw together a hat out of my old homespun yarn to match the Mad River Mittens. Here is a look at Hat #1. After trying the hat on, my daughter decided she didn't want the folded brim. I didn't like the solid feel of this pattern, either. So, tonight, after a trip to OUR BIG MALL (what my Youngest Child calls the Mall of America) to restock after the winter sales, I rip it back to the ribbing. I think I am going to break up the patterns into segments separated with bands of cream. That way, I can incorporate decreases within the hat body without interfering with the patterns. A very traditional style of "make your own" hat. It's knitting up at about 4-5 stitches per inch - a little chunky because it was some of my very first hand spun yarn. My late mother-in-law gave me a whole fleece when I first started spinning but she never told me what breed of sheep it came from. Nothing too fine but quite usable.

And, while Middle Daughter claims she likes the larger Mad River Mittens (she can wear her Sponge Bob stretchy liners underneath), I think I am going to throw them into pillowcases for one last trip through the washer.



My, Grandmother, what great hands you have!

No comments: