Thursday, May 20, 2010

Felting for fun



I spent the morning with some first graders at my son's school teaching them to make felt pictures. Since I couldn't take pictures there, I took photographs of my practice felting. Basically, I used the instructions for making flat felt in a plastic bag from “The Art of Feltmaking” by Anne Einset Vickrey.



I brought all kinds of fleece to choose from - colored scraps as well as natural colors.



Here I laid out a fleece picture on a small piece of bubble wrap - kind of like a tray to work on. I cut the bubble wrap to fit inside a ziplock bag. After the picture was ready, I slid it inside the bag. After I added some hot water and a squirt of dish soap, I zipped it up and massaged it until it felted. Here's where the bubble wrap helps with the felting process!

Emptying the cooling water and switching back and forth between cold and hot water made this take longer. I only added hot and cold water twice for the kids - I was trying to keep down the spilling! 

I did let them rub their bags of felt on a wash board to help it felt more quickly. What was funny is that they (mostly) didn't know what a wash board was!


At home, I made three sheets of flat felt as examples.


One I framed as a picture, one I made into a card and one I cut and beaded and turned into a flower pin.

Each child took home a sheet of felt in a bag and the instructions for how to rinse and dry it. It was quite fun - I think you could do this as a craft at a birthday party.  If you do, let me know how it turns out!

2 comments:

Knittymama said...

It's been so long since I did felt pictures!! I'll have to give it a go with the boys one of these days.

Natalie said...

I love the idea of felting just about anything and will try this one over the summer, when a project with the girls is in order. Lovely!