Thursday, May 17, 2007

Midnight and the gauge isn't looking any better . . .




You know how you hear stories about how the girls (or guys) all start looking better after midnight? It's not true about gauge, either.

After settling everyone else down and finally wresting control of the TiVo from Middle Daughter, I sat down to knit a circular gauge swatch in the Cheer. A couple of taped CSI shows later, I have a neat little cuff, sleeve, hat-like nubbin. It still doesn't look any better this late and in this form than it did in the sampler swatch form.

At the most, I can get 4 1/2 stitches with some places 4 and 3/4 stitches. All I want is to get 5 stitches to the inch and I am doomed, doomed to have to ammend the directions. I just want to forget the math, to just follow the crowd, to just want to go where Elizabeth Zimmerman leads.

By the by, I knit an inch or so of my swatch (70 stitches) in ribbing and then stockinette on a size 4 Addi Turbo 16 inch circular needle. This is all so that when you knit your next gauge swatch, you can laugh and laugh at a person who knits so ridiculously loose. Lazy. Relaxed. Whatever.

Onward I go, calculator in hand, to fight the good fight and make Youngest Daughter her sweater.

BUT, just to leave you on a high note. I went to the sock yarn swap at the MN Knitters' Guild meeting on Tuesday and scored a beautiful skein of Cherry Tree Hill Supersock yarn in Peacock. Lovely and soft. I also got a skein of Lana Grossa Meilenweit Safari. Also nice but a little more manly in pattern. Definite Husband sock yarn. Now, if I could just finish my Green Socks, I could move forward with some of these other delicious yarns. Not now, however, I am about to meet a really good looking bed. I didn't make my "finish before midnight" deadline but I have one more minute to go . . .

1 comment:

Guinifer said...

I hate that it has to be so precise - you can drive yourself nuts!