Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Roadtripping to Iowa

Yesterday, I travelled to Grinnell, Iowa to visit Grinnell College with my Oldest Daughter. While I think it made her list of places to apply, I am not sure it really is "The One" for her. While she toured and attended class, however, I got to wander around town and even found a quilting/yarn/fiber store, the Grinnell Fiber Works.

It was an excellent quilt shop and had some really cool supplies for dollmaking but they were selling off their yarn and knitting supplies. So Sad. Unfortunately, their remaining yarn was very hit or miss and their sock yarn was Not On Sale. If you really want people to buy things, you have to make it worth their while! I did end up buying the last copy of "Socks: A Spin-Off special publication for knitters and spinners" from Interweave Press.



This looks like it will be a very handy book for using up handspun yarn!

On Hogwarts Sock Kit Swap business - here's the HSKS Questionaire!


1. What Hogwarts house have you been sorted into? I am a Ravenclaw.

2. List your three favorite double-point needle brands, including size and length. My very favorite is ChiaoGoo Bamboo Needles, size 2, 6 inch length. Second choice would be Takumi Bamboo, size 1 or 2, 7 inch length. I don't have anything else yet but I think I would prefer something shorter (like the ChiaoGoo 6 inch length) and I wouldn't mind wood or metal. I already have lots of bamboo because I always loose one or two of each set!

3. Would you like to try a new brand needle? If so, which brand? Size? Length? Oops - I forgot this one - I wouldn't mind a new style but I don't want anything longer than the 6 inch length. I am finding the Takumi Bamboo a little "catchy" with my sock yarn so maybe something more slippery?

4. If you are a RAVENCLAW, do you prefer the colors in the film or the book? Do you have a strong preference? I like the book colors (blue and bronze) better than the movie (blue and silver) but I don't have a strong preference. I don't like either in sparkly or shiny.

5. If your pal decides to send candies or chocolates are there any that you don't like? No!

6. What are your favorite scents? I like plant scents over food scents. My favorites are things like Thymes' Frazier Fr handlotion, Root Candle's Fig. and I wear Fresh's "Sugar" and "Lemon Sugar" perfumes. I use those brands as an example but I don't expect them. I love finding less expensive, fresh, woodsey scents!

7. Do you have any allergies? No.

I am so looking forward to this swap. I had a hard time resisting picking out a bag pattern this weekend but I didn't want to limit myself when it came to the swapee's colors.

No comments: