Thursday, May 07, 2009

Okay, okay, I'm back

I've been pretty lazy about blogging this week. First, Mr. Daisy and I went to the Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity Hard Hat & Black Tie Gala on Saturday night. It was lots of fun and the dinner was delicious but, whew, I just don't stay up late anymore! Then, on Sunday, Mr. Daisy and I hit the Gateway Bike Trail again. Even better than dinner out!

Then gardening, swimming, concert going, etc. You know the spring routine!

But there are even more great things happening this week -

First off, Dear Mr. Daisy and I are going to see the new Star Trek movie tomorrow night - bought the tickets already! I used to absolutely love this television show although I've been a little bored with the newer incarnations. This one looks great!

Second of all - the Friends School Plant Sale. Great plants, nice chance to donate money.

Third - Shepherd's Harvest Sheep and Wool Festival. All weekend, lots of fibers, yarns, spinners, weavers, classes - fun, fun, fun! I'll be there early on Saturday to scoop up a few deals and then back on Sunday for a spinning class Hmm, yarn.

In real life knitting - it's still the Swallowtail Shawl. I'm almost going to be sad to see it go - I feel like it's my buddy shawl!

And finally, what is probably the best part of the weekend according to Mr. Daisy, we're going to see Bruce Springsteen in concert on Monday. Not crazy about all of his music but I haven't ever seen him so it should be a lot of fun.

I love this contest - Lorna's Laces are some of my favorite yarns - so I thought I'd pass on the info:



(This was first posted by Jocelynn Brown (The Detroit News) on Wed, May 6, 2009 at 1:46 PM)

Be part of "Faith, Hope, Love, Knitting" book giveaway

Like many crafts, knitting can be done either alone in the comfort of ones home, or with a group of fellow yarn enthusiasts where lots of warm memories are shared and created.
Knitwear designer Lorna Miser, founder of Lorna's Laces, specializing in hand-dyed yarns, has put together an inspiring book of knitted projects that weaves together precious moments of comraderie between knitters.
The book, titled "Faith, Hope, Love, Knitting: Celebrating the Gift of Knitting with 24 Beautiful Patterns (The Crown Publishing Group/$24.95), features a variety of projects, each with its own story. Among patterns to choose from are scarves, a child's hoodie and poncho, socks, a heart-shaped pillow, a lace vest, adult-size suede-soled slippers, a bunny rabbit, and a woman's sweater. Skill levels range from easy to intermediate, and the items are designed with yarns that are just as varied as the projects themselves.
One of the more fun projects, that doesn't require a single stitch, are the "homemade knitting needles," made using a wooden dowel and Polymer clay.
If you'd like a chance at winning a copy of this book, just email me at jbrown@detnews.com and tell me a STORY about one of your most memorable group-knitting experiences. Please put the word "knitting" in the subject line, and remember to include your name and address.
Good Luck and Happy Knitting!!!

No comments: