Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Poetry and Plastic and a Cool Wednesday

This entry may be pretty far removed from knitting but it does have some really cool items I thought you should know about. And it may turn into a regular Cool Wednesday kind of feature . . .

First of all, my husband clued me into this great project, The Poetry Society's Knit a Poem project. Knitters who sign up will be assigned a letter (that's right, one letter from one word of the poem!) and the whole poem will be revealed at the end of the year. They still have some unassigned letters and are getting ready to release the templates this month. I've signed up and I'm looking forward to what's to come.

The second item is poetry in a more "concrete" form. Saint Paul Public Works Poetry Contest, Everyday Poems for City Sidewalks, is starting up again. This one is only open to Saint Paul residents but if you look here, all the information is out there and it's a really neat program. As the city replaces sidewalks, they print the winning poems around town.

The third Cool Wednesday item is a great tutorial on fusing plastic bags to make sewable material from So She Sews.


Fused Plastic Owls
Originally uploaded by SoSheSews



She makes and sells all kinds of cute goods from recycled material and encourages people to try it themselves. I'm thinking purse liners for knitted purses!

Enjoy the lovely weather and, remember, wear sunscreen!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

SO COOL! All those plastic bags I've been hiding in my sewing room now have another use. Mwahahaha!