Saturday, March 31, 2007

All Hail Evelyn A. Clark!

I don't usually go all out for a particular designer but I recently took the "Are you obsessed with Evelyn A. Clark designs?" test - and failed.

It all began so innocently - I've been setting aside some knitting magazines with her designs for use with particular yarns. My Handmaiden Sea Silk is destined for her Flower Basket Shawl. Some of my sock yarn - her Retro Rib socks and the Butterflies and Blossoms pattern. Now, I'm breaking into the Knitting Fund big time and buying patterns like "Versatile Scarves," "Edged with Lace," and "Leaf Lace Shawl."

I've even picked up the shawl yarn I set aside months ago and started up a "practice" Flower Basket Shawl.


It's Davidson Corporation's Domy Heather in Slate - with 490 yards in a 100-gram skein (and I've got two), I should have plenty for a shawl. This is a hard yarn to track down - they must sell through just a few outlets and I got mine at the Shepherd's Harvest fiber festival - but it looks and feels like a slightly fuzzy lace weight wool. I like the color, though, and originally bought it to make the "Kerry Blue" shawl from Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls by Martha Waterman.

The Flower Basket Shawl, however, is knitting up like crazy. I picked it up last night and got up to the second lace pattern in about two hours. It is giving me a chance to use my "Lime and Violet" glass needles, as well! I've been nursing these all winter, sure that I would break them, but they are great needles. My only regret is that I didn't buy them with a shorter cord. The 20" cord is a little long for my tastes. Who knows - maybe it will be the perfect size when I finish this shawl.



As for the Saturday Seven, I am having to admit to yet another little secret in my closet - I am a card carrying member of the SCA. That's right, the Society for Creative Anachronisms. The medieval folks. Although I attended events years ago as a teenager (I was really into calligraphy and history), I joined as an adult because of the great group of knitters and spinners in my local Barony of Nordskogen.



This weeks lot includes four costumes and three sewing patterns. Two of the patterns were used in conjunction with "Pioneer Days" at my children's elementary school and I am going to give them to the teacher in charge of that program. The third pattern is for sewing fleece socks. Who am I kidding, I have a hard time knitting socks let alone sewing them! That pattern and the costumes are going to be posted on Freecycle today. I think a lot of crafty, history types hang out there!



As for the SCA, I haven't been able to attend meetings for a while because of my schedule but . . . that doesn't mean I am going to give away the good stuff just yet. Sad but true. I still have the Mongol Horde costumes, the renaissance dresses, the 14th century English lady costumes or the fencing outfits. I might just need those someday!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I loved the Flower Basket Shawl. The rows get long toward the end, so you'll be thankful for the longer needle by the end. Your yarn is such a delicious color. I'll have to keep my eyes open at the Shepherd's Harvest for a great score like that this year.